Sunday, January 29, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake


I like to make cakes for my boys’ birthdays. I remember for my eighth birthday my mom made a teddy bear cake, using different sized cans to bake the body parts. It sat up and was 3-D. I loved that cake. I thought it was the coolest cake ever! I’ve tried to do that for my boys. They decide what they want their cake to be, and I figure out how to make it happen. An unfortunate side effect of a 3-D cake is that there is usually a LOT of cake left over. Now I don’t know about other kids, but mine pretty much just eat the frosting and any candy decorations. That leaves cake, lots of cake.

My youngest turned 5 this month and he wanted a bug cake. After much searching, he decided on a Bug Mountain cake. Yes, a MOUNTAIN of cake covered with crushed Oreo “dirt” with gummy bugs all over and inside. Not good timing to have a birthday when I’m starting to eat healthily. But can you just hear it? Sorry, kid. Mommy can’t control herself when there’s cake in the fridge, so no cake this year. Better luck next time! In an attempt to be good, I allowed myself one piece of cake per day. I noticed, though, that each day my piece seemed to be a bit bigger than the previous day. Finally, just to have the cake gone and no more a temptation, I ate the equivalent of probably 3 pieces - with a little half & half poured on top just to make sure it wasn’t dry. Why couldn’t I have just popped that puppy in the garbage? I could have taken some to our neighbors. There are several things that I could’ve done. But, you see, I wanted the cake. That’s what it comes down to. It’s a good thing I’ve got only two kids and they each have 1 birthday per year. I don’t think I’m strong enough to handle more. Lobster will have to buy a measly slice of cake for his birthday. For himself. By himself. Sigh.

So no cake in the house. Add that to my list of rules. Check.

The rule I think I’m following best is not eating at night. That was a big surprise. I thought that would be the hardest part. I did sneak a cheese stick and a package of fruit snacks while babysitting at my sister’s house last night (sorry - I didn’t tell you!). But for the most part, I’ve been a good girl. I lost a couple of pounds this week. I could do much better if I’d follow all of my rules. Mom was right. There is safety in following the rules. So, it’s a new week. Here’s to being a rule follower!

No comments:

Post a Comment