Sunday, March 25, 2012

Now, Back To The Regularly Scheduled Program

First of all, my biopsy was negative! I can breathe a sigh of relief for the next three months! Secondly, I had a difficult time putting my thoughts together last week and all of a sudden, it was Sunday again. So, for you three that regularly read this - sorry! Hopefully, I am back on track.


I've been going through old photos this past week. I've been trying to put together a weight time-line. I wanted to know when I started gaining weight and maybe then I could better track why. I was planning on posting a few photos, because some are HILARIOUS! (third grade - think sponge rollers taken out of my shortish hair but obviously not brushed out) But, apparently, my scanner and my computer are not speaking to each other right now, so I have to look into their back-story before I can continue with mine.


Like a lot of us, I have been using Pinterest. There are so many great and inspiring things in the internet! There are also a great many things that really hit home and bring reality right in front of you. I found (on Pinterest) body scans of a 120 pound woman and a 250 pound woman right next to each other. I searched on the internet to find the original source, but I'm not experienced enough to get through all the hundreds of sites that have used the comparison - so I'm sorry to not give the proper credit for the information.

I found this fascinating! I think we focus so much on what we (and others) see on the outside that we forget about what's beneath our skin. I am definitely no doctor, but the bone and muscle mass seem smaller on the larger woman. The joints are stressed - look at the ankles and feet! No wonder my feet hurt all the time. The legs rub against each other and it looks like the hips and knees are out of normal position. The organs are totally squooshed (a very technical medical term) by the abdominal fat and the heart appears enlarged. 


I can say that right now, I wish I was that 250 pound woman. I'm not ready to announce my magic number, but I will admit that it is more than 250. If this is how it is at 250 pounds, I can only imagine how my body scan would appear. Please don't imagine it for me. There are enough scary things to think about.


Oh! And I tried something new for breakfast this morning. It was called Overnight Oats. I wasn't sure how I felt about raw oats for breakfast, but it was surprisingly good. I saw it on a blog called, Kath Eats Real Food. The basic recipe is equal parts (she uses either 1/3 or 1/2 cup of each) rolled oats- not quick oats, milk, and yogurt. Then you can add fruit, other grains etc. and let it sit in the fridge overnight. It was filling and delicious - thank you, Honey Greek Yogurt! I added banana and strawberries. Yum! I'll be making this often, although I should check out the nutritional information before I recommend it. I found out my favorite breakfast (2 slices of Dave's Killer Seed Bread with Nutella and a sliced banana on top with a glass of milk) was 700 calories. Oops! That may explain the slow weight loss a little bit.  Knowledge is power, people!







No comments:

Post a Comment