Monday, July 23, 2012

Hello, My Name is Abby - Abby Normal.

Oh, how I love my DVR. It's kind of pathetic how much I adore it. I can record anything and watch it later without all those darn commercials. In fact, when watching tv that's not recorded, my boys ask me to fast forward through the commercials. I wish I could! But the last couple of weeks, I've been making my way through the past season of CSI-Las Vegas. I wasn't sure how I'd like the new cast members and actually, I haven't yet forgiven the show for losing Grissom years ago, so I hadn't been too eager to watch while the new episodes were actually being aired.

Anyway, if you're a watcher of the CSI shows, you know they are going to dissect a few bodies - and usually at least one brain is thrown in there for fun. They can explain why a person behaved the way they did, or how they died - just by looking at the brain and any injury to it. So I've been wondering what they would find if they dissected my brain. What would explain my behavior? Would they find a few potato chips in there? Would my switch for knowing when I was full be under-developed? Would they be able to tell me why I literally can not stop eating? What makes my brain different from, say, Lobster's brain? Why can he stop after one serving of food and I can't? Why must I stuff myself?

I've been around the block a time or two. I know how to eat healthily. I love healthy food. But even stuffing myself with healthy food is unhealthy. Why am I doing this to myself? I have had a rough week. I have been unable to control myself. At. All. And it scares me.

We all know that I am an emotional eater, but after almost 7 months of practice and delving into my feelings about food and my weight, I feel like I should be able to control myself more than this. I am about middle-aged, for heaven's sake. If anyone should have control of their body, it should be I. I think I need some help - some professional help. A lot of you have probably thought that I've needed that for a long time. A friend of mine suggested that I talk to a dietitian or nutritionist a few months ago. My sister made that same suggestion last week. I haven't wanted to get help in that way because I felt that I know what I need to do. We can see how well that has worked out.

To be successful at weight-loss, "they" say that exercise is only 20% of the equation. So, what we put in our mouths makes up the other 80%. This is a big deal. And I've got to get it right. 


  1. I'm a believer in the 80/20 rule now. For me, the things I thought were healthy just weren't as healthy as they could be. It's hard to do everything ourselves. Sometimes we need help. Just think of it as one less thing on your plate (no pun intended).

    1. I can see that eating the right combination of foods can work. I need help with it - AND I need less on my plate! :)

    2. Professional nutrtionist is my recomendaton. Having to report to that one person and being weighed in each time is a great motivator. He/she can also give you some great guidelines and support without judgement. Good luck.....mbh

    3. I was resistant because I didn't want to pay money for something I felt I could do on my own. But I do see that I need it. I can't do it on my own. And it's too important. Thanks for your support!