Sunday, October 14, 2012

These Are A Few of My Favorite Things

This weekend, some LOVELY friends of mine threw a party. And what a party it was. There was a room full of smart, funny women and lots of yummy salad, soups, and bread in one of the most beautiful, comfortable homes I've been in. There was a table of desserts, too, but I stayed away from that. There was a gorgeous little bread pudding there and I KNOW I would not have been able to control myself if I got started. And I'm not even mentioning all the other platters of deliciousness.

I think the original plan was to be out on the fantastic new deck, but unfortunately, Autumn decided to finally show up here in Oregon on Friday. I, personally, am loving the rain. It has been dry for much too long - and my yard is mucho parched. But, when I woke Friday morning and saw the rain, after my first reaction of delight, I felt sad that my friends' plans had to change, but they recovered wonderfully. It was a really fun night.

The idea was that, keeping under a $30 limit, you filled a bag or basket of your favorite thing(s). Your basket was given a number as you came in and later, each person was given a random number. As we opened the gift that corresponded with our random number, the gift giver explained the item(s) and why it was a favorite. I loved seeing all of these Favorite Things and how we were different or had in common. I hope I don't forget to send thank you notes. I generally suck at thank you notes.

I was late getting home and was a bit nervous because, with Lobster being out of town and our usual sitter otherwise occupied, I hired a sitter that has not previously spent much time with Boys 1 and 2. Now, I love those boys more than potato chips, and they are pretty cute. But they are (in my opinion) not easy kids to watch. They seem to take great pride in seeing just how much they can break, or get into, or how big of mess they can make, or like this night, do something so random that there is no way of predicting it.

Boy 1 decided to get into the electrical box and turn off the power to most of the house.

He has never shown interest in the electrical box before. Lobster and I have told the boys to stay away from it and why. The box itself is not in a high-traffic area. There is no reason for him to have been there. And yet, he was. Luckily, our sitter has little brothers and has been around the babysitting block a time or two and was calm (and probably a lot nicer than I would have been) and got things turned back on and even reset some clocks. I like that she doesn't take any guff, but is nice about it. The boys love her and I'll call her again, although I won't blame her if she turns me down.

Staying in the theme of favorite things, I'm going to list some of my favorite things that happened this week.

  1. Favorite "DOH" moment: I found out that I'm being too strict with the kindergartners while going over their letters and the associated sounds. Apparently, they DON'T need to have both long and short sounds when it comes to the vowels. One poor boy cried when I told him to keep practicing. Yes, I made a 5 year old cry for no good reason.
  2. Favorite medical news: I got a call from the oncologist's office and my biopsy has again come back negative and I don't have to go back for a whole SIX MONTHS!
  3. Favorite Weight Loss moment: I lost a little over 1 pound this week! Yay for being a loser!!
  4. Favorite Kid moment: Boy 1 has been writing in a writing journal here at home - on his own and willingly! Usually, getting him to practice his handwriting takes much stern-ness and when that doesn't work,  major bribes with chocolate. 
  5. Favorite Homemaking achievement: My sister helped me clean out some cabinets that have been bothering me for a long time. She ROCKS, by the way! She helped me take this:
And turn it into this:
And this:
into this:
And this:
into this:
I love them and I love her.  She's coming back this week to help me with this another one - and it's a doosey!  I even cleaned out the "game" closet all on my own. AND I am getting rid of a few things. Yes, folks. I decided to get rid of stuff without being told to. Thank you. Thank you, very much.

My very favorite thing of all is that Lobster is home from his trip and I don't think he's travelling again this year. I kinda like having him around.

What was the favorite thing about your week?

No comments:

Post a Comment